What is Community Wealth Building?
My interpretation of the big picture:
• Re-making our local economy, creating a strong, resilient community with trust-based relationships, local connections, individual community champions, reserves of human capital and volunteer effort.
• Working with “anchor institutions” with the aim of maximising local economic, environmental and social benefits from their spending on goods, works and services.
• “Clawing back” wealth with local import replacement and recycling of local income thereby stemming the leakage of revenue from the Hawkesbury.
Why care about Building Community Wealth?
• This is about the dignity and sense of worth of our local community; of their relevance; of their well-being and their productive and useful place in the economy.
• Creating a fairer and more sustainable economy that retains and builds wealth that adds social value from within.
• This is a practical agenda to address real, local economic stresses.
• This is a “bottom-up” approach
• Our regions have … Read more